Summer Adventures in Alaska
Alaska is known for its dramatic landscapes and incredible wildlife viewing opportunities. Alyeska Resort is fortunate to have a central location—making us the perfect base camp for your summer adventures. Whether you are traveling to Alaska via cruise, tour group or own your own, staying at Alyeska Resort makes perfect sense.
Summer fun not to miss:
- The Alyeska Aerial Tram is a three-to-seven minute scenic ride from The Hotel Alyeska to 2,300 ft in elevation and the top of Mt. Alyeska. From the Tram, you can see miles in all directions – including views of the Turnagain Arm, up to seven “hanging” glaciers and endless peaks deep into the Chugach Mountain range. Don’t forget to look down! In the summer months, moose and bear sightings are common, too.
- Hike the North Face Trail which starts right from the Hotel courtyard. This is a vigorous 2.5 mile hike with 2,000 vertical feet of elevation gain. Enjoy a complimentary scenic Tram ride back down. For the less vertically inclined, take a hike on the Winner Creek Trail. This well-maintained hiking trail also begins right from the hotel courtyard. This is an easy hike through a lush Borealis Rain Forrest, typical of the Chugach Mountains.
- Sea Kayaking in Prince William Sound - Just 25 miles from Alyeska and separated by a 2.5 mile one-way tunnel, Whittier is the gateway to Prince William Sound. Once a popular port of call, and a former military facility, glacier and wildlife cruises and kayaking tours depart from Whittier daily in the summer season. The Alaska Railroad also makes a stop in Whittier.
- Take in a glacier and wildlife viewing cruise in Seward, just two hours from Alyeska. A charming coastal community and gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park and the Resurrection Bay, Seward bustles in the summer with a historic downtown.
The Alaska Sealife Center is a must-visit. Alaska’s only public aquarium and ocean wildlife rescue center, the Sealife Center allows visitors close encounters with puffins, octopus, sea lions and other sealife.
- Take a scenic helicopter ride and truly explore the vastness of the majestic Chugach Mountain Range. A variety of flight-seeing adventures are available, find one that fits your schedule and budget.
Our Concierge team has put together a list of recommended summer activities. Take a look and start your planning!
For useful Travel Tips, click here.