Alaskan Travel Tips
Alaska is a great big outdoors playground and to fully enjoy your adventures here, we recommend a few basic travel tips to help you pack and plan for your trip.
Click here for average temperatures.
Other Great Travel Tips from Guest Services:
- Don’t try to cover too much ground in too short of time. Alaska is a vast state. Narrow your trip to one or two regions.
- The Seward Highway is a Scenic Byway where you will see amazing views and perhaps wildlife. Please drive cautiously. If you see something of interest, do not drive too slowly (wait for a turn out and pull over). This ensures your safety and the safety of others who are visiting or commuting.
- Wear clothing you can easily layer- weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains.
- Formal vs. Casual Dress? Casual is the way to go in Alaska. Some cruise-goers bring formal attire for on-board the ship, then break out the jeans once they land. Comfort is key. (Think shoes!)
- With more coastline than the continental US in total, there is plenty of opportunity to explore Alaska by boat. If you are prone to seasickness, we suggest you pack your own Dramamine, as it is not always available in stores.
- Fishing licenses can be purchased in advance online.
- Ship souvenirs home via USPS flat rate boxes. Souvenirs can take up a lot of room in your suitcase and can add extra weight. Our Front Desk and retail shops are happy to assist you in shipping your gifts and packages home.
- Document your trip with a journal AND camera.
- Book your tour in advance to guarantee availability, but leave room also for spontaneity!
Guest Services is happy to answer any of your travel questions and can help with planning your Alaskan vacation. Email the team or call at 907-754-2108.